06 February 2009

Oops...

What’s your greatest kitchen mishap? I’m not talking about the unfortunately ubiquitous slivered finger, but the more dramatic events. Last night, in the midst of creating an amazingly complicated dinner, I managed to make my railroad-style kitchen so hot that the plastic exterior of my electric kettle melted into a solid block. This is the second electric kettle I’ve ruined in as many months (the last one I submerged in water while attempting to clean – apparently that’s a no-no).

One of my favorite mistakes, however, was arriving home after an epic night bartending to find Marcus and Frank sitting calmly in the living room, watching TV. Their Zen-like quality could only be fully appreciated seeing the thick film of vegetable oil they had managed to spread over the entire 450 square feet of our apartment. Apparently they had wanted steak frites, but never really knew how to fry on the stovetop. For weeks afterwards we walked on crunchy kosher salt, soaking up the remains. Our hardwood floors never looked so good.

2 comments:

ERIN said...

- in my old house in oxford, leaving a lighter on top of the grill (one of those ovens with an overhead grill). the grill was on to make cheese on toast, presumably got very hot: lighter exploded.
- same house: tried to cook salmon in the microwave. it exploded (the salmon, i mean). things exploded in that kitchen.
- in high school, my friends and i tried to make hot chocolate and accidentally boiled the milk over, ruining - and i mean *ruining* - her mother's brand new electric hob.
- being vegan is safer.

Nik said...

- I almost blew myself and the apartment block I live in to pieces because it took me about 4 cubic meters of gas to find out that my Chinese gas cooker is leaking - and the gas smells different than in Europe.
- When I do a stir-fry, I place all the ingredients on platters and in bowls and due to lack of space I distribute them all over the apartment. Some of them I only find again days later...
- Somehow no really big catastrophes in the kitchen yet - I try to compensate by creating black holes in the lab...